Deal Structuring and Term Sheets half day workshop - Nov. 21, 2019
Questions? Contact Irene Dorsman - firstname.lastname@example.org
Deal Structuring and Term Sheets Module
Term Sheet Module
A term sheet lays the groundwork for ensuring that the parties involved in an investment transaction are in agreement on most major aspects of the deal, thereby precluding the possibility of a misunderstanding. Because investment terms, company valuation, and the longer-term implications of investment terms are not “one size fits all”, it is important that investors understand the definition of terms and their application in each distinct deal. This module will give an in-depth treatment of all the terms and conditions (T&Cs) that can form the basis of a term sheet and subsequent investment deal. It will provide students with an understanding of the purpose of these T&Cs and their appropriate use in structuring deals to maximize return and minimize risk.
This module will cover:
- Investment form: common shares, preferred shares, convertibles, SAFEs and hybrid structures
- Maximizing the upside
- Preventing missteps
- Mitigating the downside
- Ensuring an exit
- Worst-case scenarios
- Common terms and conditions
- Controversial terms and conditions
- Routine boilerplate terms and conditions
- Strategies that backfire
- The deal structuring process
- Post-investment governance
- Key documents: term sheet, subscription agreement, shareholder agreement.
Learning Objectives: By the end of this module the registrant will be able to:
- Describe the effect of a term sheet
- Explain the purpose of individual terms and conditions on any term sheet
- Create new terms and conditions to address any specific risk
- Justify to an entrepreneur the inclusion of specific terms and conditions in a deal
- Describe how a term sheet is developed into more formal deal documentation.
Registrants should have been exposed to angel investing.
A mix of panel discussions, case studies, and instructor-led group discussions will predominate the methods used.
Registrants may wish to bring a term sheet or relevant case study from a recent deal.
Workshop Schedule - 650 West Georgia Street, 16th Floor, Vancouver
12.30pm Check-in & Networking - coffee and tea provided
2.30pm Break - coffee and tea provided
3.45pm Investor & Entrepreneur Panel Q&A
5pm Wrap up and time for a beer/wine or other drink
Cost $100 for non-members, $75 for members in good standing.
This is a serious half day workshop, not a simple 1 hour overview.
Who should attend: these half day workshops is primarily designed for founders and investors in startup to early revenue technology companies, seeking Seed or Series A stage funding.
Format: These workshops are designed to be highly interactive for all attendees in a confidential protected environment (no solicitations). The format will be a blend of presentations and panels; a real case example by a local entrepreneur, with lots of time for Q&A and networking.
Expert Panelists: tba
Networking: All attendees are asked to stand-up and introduce themselves in 20 seconds (suggested content could include the name of a company that you are an investor in or founder of and one key issue you want to learn about). This is great for networking among attendees.
Handout Materials: A workbook of the presentation and resource materials will be provided at check-in to aid in your note taking at the workshop. For privacy reasons, attendee information will not be available except to sponsors.
Professional Development: This workshop from 1-5pm usually is accepted for PD credits with professional associations. Let us know if it is not accepted.
Important to Workshop Attendees:
- Bring a friend
- Seating is limited and is on a first completed registration basis. There is no on-site registration.
- No refund or credit but another person may attend in your place.
- Registrants who fail to attend will not receive a refund or credit.
- A workbook of the PowerPoint presentations and Articles is included for note taking
- Coffee/tea available early and mid afternoon
- Networking over drinks included
- Your payment will be receipted immediately via e-mail.
- You will receive by e-mail further details approx. 1 week before the Workshop date.